Helios ThunderBolt PCIe Expansion Chassis
We have one first generation Helios in stock available for half price
------------ This product has been replaced by the Helios 2 -----------
Tap Into Power of PCIe and Thunderbolt
The OWC Mercury Helios PCIe Expansion Chassis gives users of Thunderbolt port equipped computers like the Mac mini, iMac, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro the ability to tap into a wide variety of professional-level performance PCIe cards that were once the sole domain of desktop workstations. Helios utilizes any half-length PCIe 2.0 card (up to 6.5") to provide a massive boost to your workflow.
Helios is fast and flexible with throughput up to 10Gb/s, and is the perfect solution for high-performance PCIe cards made for video capture/editing, media transcoding, audio processing, and data storage. Finally, users of portable and all-in-one computers can enjoy the functionality and productivity gains of these PCIe cards wherever their work takes them.
* Use any half-length (up to 6.5" long), full-height, single-width x1, x4 or x8 PCIe card via Thunderbolt technology.
* PCIe card expansion offers: up to 10Gb/s SSD data transfer, uncompressed HD video capture, 10 Gigabit Ethernet connectivity, and more.
* Daisy-chain up to six Thunderbolt devices and one Mini Display port at end of chain.
* Plug and Play...no drivers needed.*
* Ventilated quiet cooling with a variable speed fan.
* Automatically powers on/off with your computer.
* Hot-pluggable...connect and disconnect while unit is on.**
* Bus-powers one Thunderbolt device that supports bus-powering.***
* Rugged yet lightweight aluminum housing can go anywhere your work takes you.
Boosts Workflow Productivity
Mercury Helios is fast and flexible with throughput up to 10Gb/s, and is the perfect solution to massively boost workflow productivity. It's bootable with AHCI compliant cards and can daisy-chain up to six devices. Types of PCIe cards Helios can use include: Fibre Channel • 10Gb Ethernet • RAID controller • Video capture • Digital audio • Solid State Drive • SAS controllers such as the OWC Jupiter • and FireWire, USB 3.0, eSATA host adapter cards. Click here for compatibility list.
* Thunderbolt‐aware drivers may be needed for PCIe card.
** If any devices are connected to the PCIe card, make sure to properly remove them before disconnecting Helios.
*** Thunderbolt bus-powered device has to be the last device on the chain.
* OWC Mercury Helios External Enclosure
* External Auto-Switching 100/240v 50/60Hz Power Adapter
* Requires Thunderbolt Cable. NOT included..
* Color User Manual (4.2MB PDF)
PCIe cards supported
- One half-length (up to 6.5" long), single width, full-height PCIe card
- One PCIe 2.0 x8 (x4 mode)
- PCIe (PCI Express)
- Thunderbolt - (2) 20 pin port
Max Data Transfer Rate
- Thunderbolt - 10Gbit/s (or 1250MB/sec)
- Bootable as long as the specific PCIe card installed is bootable
- Thunderbolt: Supported on Macs meeting minimum requirements.
Macintosh System Requirements
- Mac OS X 10.6.8 or later. Including 'Lion' 10.7.x, and 'Mountain Lion' 10.8.x
- Available Thunderbolt port.
External Case Dimensions
- 5.7 in (W) x 8.8 in (D) x 2.9 in (H)
- 114.78mm x 223.52mm x 73.66mm
Enclosure Weight (without card)
- Approximately 2.4 pounds (1.08kg)